Welcome to the F30Driver forums. F30Driver is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your F30 Sedan, F31 Touring, F32 Coupe or F33 Cabrio -- F30Driver is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   F30Driver > BMW F30 Forums > General F30 Sedan / F31 Wagon / F32 Coupe / F33 Cabrio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
3 Series Diesel Returns to the US with the F30 328d

In conjunction with Bimmerfest.com we have an exclusive look at the first US diesel powered F30 3 series, the 328d. We got a chance to drive the new diesel 3er at BMW's North American headquarters just after the 328d was revealed to the press at the New York Auto Show the day before. The 328d sports a 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo 4 cylinder engine, delivering 180 hp and an impressive 280 lb-ft of torque that moves the sports sedan from 0 to 60 mph in about 7.2 seconds while getting an estimated 45 MPG highway!

With the body of the 3 series the interior and handling of the car are dead on F30 3 series. There are a few exterior tweaks as pointed out in the video but to the average consumer it would be hard to tell the difference between the 328d and the 328i. There is a touch more clanking from the engine at idle but as many have noted, the 328i is not the smoothest sounding engine BMW has ever produced. The gas and diesel 328 options both make a lot of cold stat up noise but I would be hard pressed to say the diesel sounds dramatically worse. In the sound category the 328d sounds equal to its gasoline brother so no negative marks there.

Behind the wheel around town everything is business as usual for the 3 series. Smooth ride, direct steering and a sporty feel. There is a touch more noise from the diesel at higher revs, where the gas engine seems to quite down under power. If the radio on or you're holding a conversation any engine noise would be drowned out. In 99.9% of driving you won't be able to tell you have a diesel under the hood. When you get on the loud pedal there are two distinct places you can feel the diesel engine difference. Right off the line the 280 ft-lbs of torque, which is up from the 328i's 255 ft-lbs is noticeable. It pulls hard off the line and makes quick stoplight getaways easy. Hold the pedal down and as the revs climb over 3800 you can feel the engine start to go flat. Diesels have their power down low and don't like to be pushed to high revs like a gas engine. I found the car to be much more responsive and fun to drive in sport mode. I used the steering wheel paddle shifters to flip the 8 speed automatic up a gear just as the revs hit 4k. This keep the engine in the torque range where it pulled the hardest.

US pricing is set to start under $40,000 with Lines, equipment and packages mirroring what you can get on a 328i. With an estimated 45 mpg the 328d is something you're going to have to consider if you're shopping the 3 series for fuel economy.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Great review Tim. Just upset there is no RWD Touring option.

What is the black box in the center of the bumper, below the plate?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Great review Tim. Just upset there is no RWD Touring option.

What is the black box in the center of the bumper, below the plate?
You can thank Audi and winter fear mongering for that. All wheel drive has become a perception of luxury. That and people that feel they need AWD for the few days a year it snows

The black box is the housing for the active cruise sensor.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
AdamIsAdam

My Ride: 328iM6,Rubicon,64GTO
Can they be had in sedan body, RWD stick?

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

WTB: OEM Style 193 Rims
AdamIsAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
No. Auto only.

Tags
2014 328d, 328d, bmw, bmw 328d, bmw diesel, bmw f30, bmw forum, diesel bwm, diesel forum, f30 3 series, f30 bmw, f30 diesel, f30 forum, f30post