Welcome to the F30Driver forums. F30Driver is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your F30 Sedan, F31 Touring, F32 Coupe or F33 Cabrio -- F30Driver is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   F30Driver > BMW F30 Forums > General F30 Sedan / F31 Wagon / F32 Coupe / F33 Cabrio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
thetrev68

RDS Display

So I have the basic stereo/sat in my 2013 328i. I can find where to turn RDS on and off in the radio, but I can't find a display in iDrive that gives the station/song/artist name. Can anyone help me? I'm struggling to find a "default" screen for driving. When I'm listening to satellite it's okay because song information is there, but I hate the sound quality on satellite and I'm usually okay with Houston radio stations - especially with HD. I just can't find where the RDS information is displayed. Any help or comments appreciated.

-Trevor
thetrev68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
mookieo2

I have the basic stereo and the RDS is pretty poor. If it is working it is just displayed in the top right most text on the screen. It is really small. I'm not sure why they didn't just make it show up middle of the screen . Even the most basic stereos on any new car have better RDS read out then our 3's.
mookieo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
thetrev68

Well, I found it. I have to click the radio station that's on, then scroll down and click station info to get it on screen. What's awful is that I then have to menu back twice to change stations, then navigate around again to display station info once I land on a station. That has to be one of the worst design philosophies anyone could have imagined. I love my car, but nobody with half a brain would deliberately put the RDS information there. Clearly BMW just forgot about it.

On the plus side, I can leave the station info up if I use the thumb wheel on the steering wheel to change stations. But the thumbwheel displays the station name instead of the number. I have no idea what station KKBQ or whatever is. I need the number, which is what I've used all my life. It's very frustrating. For now, I've given up on RDS completely. What a waste.
thetrev68 is offline   Reply With Quote