Welcome to the F30Driver forums. F30Driver is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your F30 Sedan, F31 Touring, F32 Coupe or F33 Cabrio -- F30Driver is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   F30Driver > BMW F30 Forums > General F30 Sedan / F31 Wagon / F32 Coupe / F33 Cabrio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Daddy196

My Ride: 320d Sport F30
Wind noise problem

Anyone noticed unusually high wind noise from drivers/passengers side at speeds as low as 50mph? If so any answers? Taking back to dealer on Tuesday and waiting to be fobbed off, any feed back would be great.
Daddy196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
There have been a lot of comments about wind noise from the F30 3 series. I've heard dealers adjust the door close to increase the seal pressure or something like that. Let us know what they say.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Daddy196

BMW have said they'll fit new door seals next Thursday, I'll wait and see if this cures the problem, it's also having a new Track End Rod to the front drivers side due to a knocking sound when I go over rough ground/cats eyes or the like.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
forteatwo

My Ride: Lexus GS300
Daddy196:
Please keep us posted on your results. I test drove an MB C-250, Cadillac ATS (don't laugh, it may lack cachet but it was an impressive car) and a 2013 328i all the same day last week. I am 6'4" and the BMW was the most comfortable with the roomiest cockpit of the three (and it is easily the best looking). I wanted to like this car better than either of the other two but the wind noise was surprisingly audible, to the extent that it would be foolish to spend money on the upscale audio system. There was no whistling sound, just constant buffeting around the front pillar or windshield. It was not a particularly windy day either so I assume it was coming from the windstream of other cars on the freeway. I went back and redrove the C250 on the same stretch and it was dead quiet. So something is definitely amiss. I hope BMW can address this.
forteatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Daddy196

The door seals were renewed but the wind noise is just the same as expected, the service manager advised me that they have had complaints but until more F30 owners are out there complaining then BMW will do nothing. The dealer "Halliwell Jones @ Chester" also managed to scratch my gloss black centre console and not just a little, they also had to fit a new steering rack which again didn't work right when I test drove it, servo assist between driver modes( sport, comfort & Eco-pro) didn't alter at all. Dealer then put me in a courtesy car which looked like a skip inside and was on fuel reserve forcing me to put 20 in the tank, what excellent customer service...NOT.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
forteatwo

My Ride: Lexus GS300
I guess I would like to establish whether the wind noise is in all of the 2013 F30s or just some. If it is in all of them I am surprised more folks are not reporting it. If it is in just a sampling of the cars then it is repairable. That would be good news. I had hoped to buy a car this week based on my test drives and the 328i was at the top of the list. I will say the wind noise I heard during my test drive did not intrude in a big way, it was just there and was not noticeable in the other cars I drove. I suppose one could live with it. It is one of those things that once you are distracted by it you tend to focus on it, like a squeak or rattle.
forteatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Daddy196

I agree, I just turn the tunes up and enjoy all the other tech. But will be watching out for a BMW fix.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Daddy196

Dealer said they had replaced black trim with new, to be fair it looks like it's been swapped from another car they had in as it was still scratched but no way near as much. I will Avoid this dealer at all cost.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
SVorster

Hi guys.

I have a 2month old F30 and experienced wind noise. I took it back to the dealer twice, last week they refitted the windscreen and replaced the windscreen rubber seal, it has definitely improved it.

I will be keeping a close ear to it over the next few days.
SVorster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Nordic Bob

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I noticed a bit of wind noise too on my less than 2 week old F30 M Sport sedan, but passed it off before I read this thread. I haven't had enough time with the car without the radio on to tell whether there is more wind noise than on our 2005 Infiniti G35 but will start paying attention.
Nordic Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Bluemark81

My Ride: F30 328i Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy196 View Post
Anyone noticed unusually high wind noise from drivers/passengers side at speeds as low as 50mph? If so any answers? Taking back to dealer on Tuesday and waiting to be fobbed off, any feed back would be great.
Yes, at 45 mph and higher, I have extensive wind noise from my side windows. I can isolate it by placing a glove or similar sized rag in the top right corner along the b-pillar. It is a MUCH noisier car in general than my E90 and even more so than the X1 I am currently driving. Give me the X1 any day over the f30 for noise, all-round comfort/handling/fun. It feels much more like my E90. And the X1 is no slouch in speed either. The f30 328 is loud, harsh, looses composure on rough roads, uncomfortable seats, has lots of body roll in the turns, sounds bad at idle and low rpms. I do like the interior and exterior design, and it is fast.
Bluemark81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Bluemark81

Spoke with my service tech today. So far, they replaced windshield a-pillar mouldings and door seals. They taped the doors completely shut and tried it. No improvements noted. Still working away on it, but I'm losing optimism that it is fixable. The odd thing is that he says himself that he has driven other 3's that have NO wind noise so it's a bit of a mystery. At least they are good to deal with and not just brushing it off. They have had the car two weeks now trying to diagnose it. i have already told them if it is not fixable, I will be selling it and changing brands after having 4 BMW products.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Bluemark81

Got my car back today. The door seals were not replaced but they say they adjusted the doors and windows. I will say the wind noise is not as obtrusive, but I still believe there is room for improvement. What I do notice now is that the passenger side wind noise seems to be more obvious now that the drivers side is reduced. I can probably live with it now anyway. Passing vehicles are now muffled and don't sound as though the door is ajar.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
Nordic Bob

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Wind noise problem

Definitely seems to be more wind noise on the passenger side. No explanation for that observation. As I have read elsewhere, it appears to be due to the side mirrors on the F30. Why more so on the right side is a mystery.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Nordic Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Bluemark81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Bob View Post
Definitely seems to be more wind noise on the passenger side. No explanation for that observation. As I have read elsewhere, it appears to be due to the side mirrors on the F30. Why more so on the right side is a mystery.

I don't believe it is the mirrors. I've read that suggestion elsewhere, but too many people reporting their car being extremely quiet to very noisy. One thing common to them all is the mirrors, so if the mirrors were contributing to the noise, there would be no reports of quiet cars. The improvement in my car is considerable since they replaced the windshield A-pillar molding strips and made door and window adjustments. I personally don't think the A-pillar molding replacements did anything either due to the nature of my noise I was experiencing, so it all comes down to the window and door adjustments. I think the F30 just has a pretty narrow margin of error for getting the closures just perfect. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
tazza0712

My Ride: 2005 320i M Sport
Wind noise problem

I noticed wind noise from the passenger side of my car at the beginning of this year. It sounded like it was coming from the windscreen/side mirrors but I couldn't place it. Then it became intermittent as it would disappear and come back occasionally.

It took me about three weeks to work out that the passenger side window was not closing correctly when I used the one-touch close feature, it would appear to be fully closed, but was actually not going all the way up - it was staying only a fraction open but this was enough to create wind disturbance at anything above 40km/h.

Took the car to BMW and had them check it, was told all was fixed. Left the dealership, and lo and behold, it sounded like the last scene of Twister was playing out in the front passenger area.

I've had the car back in and they confirm they've now fixed the issue by resetting something - I haven't been able to replicate it so I'll take their word for it at this stage.

I'd suggest anyone experiencing this problem double checks that the windows are closed fully - I first noticed it wasn't by seeing that the BMW logo on the window glass was at a slightly different height (when the window was in the closed position) to the other windows in the car.

Best of luck!

Tags
f30, noise, wind, wind noise