Welcome to the F30Driver forums. F30Driver is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your F30 Sedan, F31 Touring, F32 Coupe or F33 Cabrio -- F30Driver is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   F30Driver > BMW F30 Forums > General F30 Sedan / F31 Wagon / F32 Coupe / F33 Cabrio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
pix335i
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Your F30 Can Now Read Your Text Messages (and maybe emails) from your iPhone

We have all seen the commercial from BMW showing off the man pulling up to the driveway in his F30 and receiving a text message from his wife being read by the car. If you haven't seen the video then, you can quick take a peek now.

Well, with iOS 6, iPhone users can finally take advantage of this feature in the car over bluetooth. The set up is mostly straight forward but I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure what I did to get it working in the end. I think the solution was getting the settings right then walking away from the car for a while and returning to the scene. It wasn't very scientific but it ended up working. The only problem we seem to be having now is that the notifications are only working with text messages and not emails. We'll keep working on it to see if it is something simple like needing all your email addresses set up to send notifications over bluetooth.

The quick and easy way to get this set up on your car is to do the following:
  • Upgrade your phone to iOS 6
  • If you have paired your phone previous, remove the pairing from your phone and the iDrive system just to start fresh.
  • In iDrive go to Telephone -> Bluetooth -> Your Phone and the push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the main configuration screen
  • Scroll down to Configure Bluetooth and make sure that the check box for "Office" is checked
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Your BMW and touch the blue arrow to go to the settings. Make sure that the Show Notifications slider is set to "ON"
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
  • After getting it all set up and testing by letting the phone lock itself (not pushing the lock button) and sending a text message from another device, it still did not work for us initially. This is the part about shutting off the car and walking away for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe there is a bug that needs the connection to be severed and re-connected to make things work. It is sort of a mystery right now. After coming back and having a message sent the system worked and the notifications came through to the iDrive and were read aloud by the car.

We should have more information on this as we go but we wanted to get a quick report out to show you that it at least sort of works!

BMW F30 3 series iOS6 integration review

pix335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
tazza0712

My Ride: 2005 320i M Sport
Further to the post above, my notifications settings for messages on my phone are different - no preview and banners instead of pop-ups - but the car still displays messages when they come through.

Can confirm that it did not work straight away, and the car sat overnight in the driveway before messages would display on the iDrive screen when they were sent through. Not sure what's up with that, but be prepared for a delay in the whole system actually working properly.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Sephanite

My Ride: BMW Z4
how do i remove old bluetooth paired devices?
Sephanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
pix335i
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Go into the iDrive - telephone -> Bluetooth (telephone) -> scroll to your phone and press the iDrive to the right to get to the additional menu. One of the choices will be "Remove phone from list"

Hope that helps!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Mrcarcrazy

My Ride: 05 Elise, 04 Z4, etc
That commercial made me LOL @ work.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Sephanite

yes got the phone removed but no option for reading msgs came up. Must not be there for me

EDIT: as in push right i dont have the main configuration screen. The phone just 'connects'

Last edited by Sephanite; 09-26-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
Sephanite

no menu to select 'office'
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
thetrev68

Sephanite - same problem for me. I don't have NAV, so maybe it's different.
thetrev68 is offline   Reply With Quote