Welcome to the F30Driver forums. F30Driver is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your F30 Sedan, F31 Touring, F32 Coupe or F33 Cabrio -- F30Driver is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   F30Driver > BMW F30 Forums > General F30 Sedan / F31 Wagon / F32 Coupe / F33 Cabrio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
yrock87

My Ride: 2012 F30 335i Sport
Automatic Start/Stop deactivate

check it out! Service Bulletin listed below.

SIB 12 15 12

INFORMATION
The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW's commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to "Last user mode."

With this logic, the current MSA's activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the "Last user mode" as the default setting from production.
yrock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Sephanite

My Ride: BMW Z4
Sephanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
mtgswede

My Ride: '13 335ixdriveMsport
I hate the start stop function. In stop and go traffic it's annoying. I wish the default was it was always off not on. However, I find that if you put it in sport mode or manual mode it switches off thankfully. Better fuel economy or not, it's a pain in the ass in heavy traffic when you are only stopped for a few seconds. Seems to me the wear and tear is not worth the fuel savings. Fixing anything on a BMW not under warranty is usually a $1,000 plus endeavor
mtgswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
AdamIsAdam

My Ride: 328iM6,Rubicon,64GTO
Does the start stop on manuals too?

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

WTB: OEM Style 193 Rims

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 03-10-2013 at 10:28 AM.
AdamIsAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
yrock87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
odd the start stop on manuals too?

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Startstop is standard on all of the new Fxx BMWs. and while i believe that the previous post was referring to manual mode on the auto tranny, I have a 335i with the 6sp manual and startstop is on every time i start the car unless i push a button to turn it off. i havent gotten around to having the local dealer deactivate it for me because i have gotten used to it. on the 6sp, selecting sport mode does NOT deactivate startstop.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
bjcrow@hotmail.com

My Ride: BMW 335is
There is no start/stop on my 335is.
bjcrow@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
yrock87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcrow@hotmail.com View Post
There is no start/stop on my 335is.
your 335is isn't an F30 is it? I dont know if they have carried this over to the E9x coups, convertables and wagons still on being built. expect the F3x versions out next year to have startstop.