Welcome to the F30Driver forums. F30Driver is the premiere website for the next generation BMW 3 series with interactive forums, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts. If you are looking to talk about your F30 Sedan, F31 Touring, F32 Coupe or F33 Cabrio -- F30Driver is the place for you!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   F30Driver > BMW F30 Forums > General F30 Sedan / F31 Wagon / F32 Coupe / F33 Cabrio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
F80 m3

according to BMW NA the new F80 M3 will not be offered in a manual. instead it will have a 7spd DCT only. it will also be a turbo charged I-6 offering 450hp and 350FTLB torque instead of the V8 which put out 414hp. Is BMW moving away from 3 pedals. Any thoughts on this matter?

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings

Last edited by swaggerwagon; 08-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Jonshmoe

My Ride: (GONE)
Send a message via AIM to Jonshmoe Send a message via MSN to Jonshmoe Send a message via Skype™ to Jonshmoe
Im young, but I truly think it's sad. Yes there may be less errors in an automatic, but the joy of driving stick really makes it a drivers car. BMW is becoming too embedded in technology overall in my opinion. Like the iDrive system... its annoying, not necessary, and a distraction.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Ultimate driving machine, my ass.
I'll have to see it to believe it.

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
WGSteve

My Ride: 03' 330ci
I think they are losing sales by not offering a manual transmission.
Whether or not technology in SMGs and such can shift faster or all the other bs facts...manual is manual is manual. I would not buy an M series car with anything but 3 pedals
WGSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
mkodama

Source?

You mean 7 speed DCT?

I don't mind the SMG or DCT, but I think there are quite a few core buyers that would still want a traditional manual, and not offering it says a lot about the car, the company, and what it believe are its most profitable customers. I think it's a pretty bad move denying customers a manual transmission option.

Last edited by mkodama; 08-05-2012 at 11:48 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
KrasivataSabine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGSteve View Post
I think they are losing sales by not offering a manual transmission.
Whether or not technology in SMGs and such can shift faster or all the other bs facts...manual is manual is manual. I would not buy an M series car with anything but 3 pedals
Not everyone is a fanatic. Remember that recent poll indicating that 80% of 1-Series owners didn't know if their car was FWD or RWD? With those kinds of numbers, worryingly, it seems plausible that the "typical" M-customer might not care for a manual transmission.

OP, source?

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
Not everyone is a fanatic. Remember that recent poll indicating that 80% of 1-Series owners didn't know if their car was FWD or RWD? With those kinds of numbers, worryingly, it seems plausible that the "typical" M-customer might not care for a manual transmission.

OP, source?
WTF?! are you kidding?
how does one even know how to drive in the snow if they don't know which are the drive wheels?
oh yeah i forgot, 99% of people driving in the snow are MORONS and have no idea what they're doing.

in for source.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
swaggerwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Source?

You mean 7 speed DCT?

I don't mind the SMG or DCT, but I think there are quite a few core buyers that would still want a traditional manual, and not offering it says a lot about the car, the company, and what it believe are its most profitable customers. I think it's a pretty bad move denying customers a manual transmission option.
corrected. latest issue of automobile mag. has a full writeup and picts of the new F80 M3 sedan

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerwagon View Post
according to BMW NA the new F80 M3 will not be offered in a manual. instead it will have a 7spd smg only. it will also be a turbo charged I-6 offering 450hp and 350FTLB torque instead of the V8 which put out 414hp. Is BMW moving away from 3 pedals. Any thoughts on this matter?
What is your source? Within the last week I read an article from C&D(I think) stating that the manual was being dropped from the M5, but the boss of M stated that the M3 would retain its manual.

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
KrasivataSabine

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
WTF?! are you kidding?
how does one even know how to drive in the snow if they don't know which are the drive wheels?
oh yeah i forgot, 99% of people driving in the snow are MORONS and have no idea what they're doing.

in for source.
Pretty sure you mean OP, but here is my source just in case. http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003222...-a-front-wheel

Think about it. BMW has to build cars for us and people who don't care about their cars. Which population do you think is a bigger sale?

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
Pretty sure you mean OP, but here is my source just in case. http://www.worldcarfans.com/11003222...-a-front-wheel

Think about it. BMW has to build cars for us and people who don't care about their cars. Which population do you think is a bigger sale?
yeah i meant the OP
and yes i understand needing to appeal to a mass market to make sales. and it's truly sad that even bmw is becoming cookie cutter.
it seems you really need to spend big moneys these days to get a brand that makes little sacrifices when it comes to design and performance.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
WTF?! are you kidding?

in for source.
Lol. The entire world doesn't get covered in snow. I can name hundreds of people who can't install tire chains
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
KrasivataSabine

That's it, guys. I finally buy into the premise of this trailer.
It's been a damn good run.

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
swaggerwagon

The article is at work and i will upload it tomorrow

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
KrasivataSabine

Quote:
yeah i meant the OP
and yes i understand needing to appeal to a mass market to make sales. and it's truly sad that even bmw is becoming cookie cutter.
it seems you really need to spend big moneys these days to get a brand that makes little sacrifices when it comes to design and performance.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Porsche just about the only mass-market "purist" car company nowadays? I thought BMW had that distinction as well, until this

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
now days bmw is designed by dolce and gabana and made in china

Need a bearing tool in Chicago-land ?http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964450
Find bmw wheel style here
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=987999
Russian172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #17
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
If no one is buying manual cars then why would they offer it. Fact is, no one buys them anymore. Hell, all of you have gone through the rigmarole to find a manual BMW from the last TWENTY years, let alone now. How many manual M3's are there on the market as opposed to SMG, Auto and DCT from the last twenty years.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
Lol. The entire world doesn't get covered in snow. I can name hundreds of people who can't install tire chains
I can't install chains, but I drive in the snow at least once every winter... Most of my confidence in the snow is thanks to my manual transmission, go figure. It saddens me that I'll have to move onto another brand one day when I want a "new" car
Old 08-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #19
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Show your source. Scott26 from Bimmerpost has personally said that the F80 will have manual. Also, manual test mules have been seen around. Even here in the US.

Show your source.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #20
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
I can't install chains, but I drive in the snow at least once every winter... Most of my confidence in the snow is thanks to my manual transmission, go figure. It saddens me that I'll have to move onto another brand one day when I want a "new" car
Unfortunately I happen to have slowtronic but I drive in chicago winter just fine without snow tires you just gotta be gentler at times I guess

Need a bearing tool in Chicago-land ?http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964450
Find bmw wheel style here
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=987999
Russian172 is offline   Reply With Quote