E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Mirrorless i8

39K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Custom3 
#1 ·
The Washington Post has an article about the BMW i8. Seems BMW engineers have a prototype that has no exterior mirrors. Instead, there are two external cameras that feed the interior review "mirror," which is really a display. The car integrates the video from three cameras (two side exterior cameras and a rear facing camera) and displays the result in the '"mirror." Current Fed Gov regs require exterior mirrors. BMW and Tesla are asking for changes to the requirement.

#6 ·
You need to learn to adapt, its people like you that keep saying pay for cabs and not for the better priced and better service like uber. I can see this working and as soon as those regulations make sense the sooner this can go on the road, it might even prevent more accidents.

#7 ·
They want to do this for a number of reasons.

One is that the camera is much smaller than a mirror, which means less drag, which means better fuel economy
Another is, like you guys are saying, it can integrate all of the "mirrors" into a single rearview display.
Last is, now this becomes another detector that the car's computer can access for driving assistance and/or self-driving.

#8 ·
New cars will look odd without the traditional mirror ear look. Instead it will be a small nub or something weird like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.